Ionen Wolkens wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 03:01:44PM -0500, Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I looked in x11-terms and there is a few options, I think.  I tried
>> looking at home pages and such but none of them mention a feature like
>> this but it may have it.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a terminal
>> emulator that allows the mouse to place the cursor to edit parts or
>> whole sections of a command.  Some of my commands are really long and it
>> seems the part I want to edit is always at the beginning.  :/
>>
> x11-terms/kitty can do this since it added some shell integration
> features (requires bash, zsh, or fish and a rc file to be loaded which
> is done by default), aka you can click anywhere in the command and
> it'll place the cursor there.
>
> The shell integration bits can also do things like open the output of
> the last command in a pager even if haven't done e.g. "... | less" or
> instantly copy it for pasting without awkwardly scrolling to select
> everything.
>
> Has quite a vast amount of features and configuration options, albeit
> it may come as a bit quirky and with a learning curve if coming from
> konsole (e.g. it does not even have a context menu and can only be
> configured by editing the .conf file directly), and is mostly intended
> for use with various keyboard binds than with pretty menus.

I have been playing with this a bit.  I kinda like it.  It's starting to
grow on me.  LOL  The one thing I can't figure out, the scroll thing on
the side of the window it's in.  On most things, web browsers and such,
there is a scroll thing on the right side.  You can left click and hold
and scroll rather quickly to a certain spot.  When there is a long page
of info, it can come in handy.  It is a LOT faster than using the mouse
wheel or the page up/down keys.  I can't figure out how to work the one
in Kitty tho.  I see the little bar but when I left click on it, it
doesn't do anything.  If I try to scroll with it, it just highlights
text in the window.  Also, usually the mouse pointer changes when I'm
over that little scroll part.  With Kitty, it doesn't change.  It stays
a little text bar like it does when over text.  It's there but it
doesn't allow the mouse to make use of it.

I've been through the config file a few times and found scroll things
but I'm not seeing the part that controls it.  All the other windows I
use, web browsers, Konsole, file mangers etc work as they should.  I
don't think it is a KDE window setting since everything else works.  I
can't find anything with Kitty either tho.

You have any idea what controls that behavior?  Maybe it is called
something I don't realize that is what it is or something.

Oh, it is all controlled by the config file like you said.  It has no
settings or preference menu anywhere.  Heck, there's no menu at all.
ROFL  Thing is, once set up, it doesn't matter.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)