On Sat, 01 Jun 2024 23:19:37 -0400,
Paul Colquhoun wrote:

> On Sunday, June 2, 2024 1:34:20 A.M. AEST John Covici wrote:
> > The great program yt-dlp no longer will download from youtube.  It
> > complains that name or service not known.  It works fine downloading
> > from rumble.  Anyone know  what is happening?  I assume youtube did
> > some update that broke something.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>

> It's working for me.
>
> Can you post a full command line that isn't working?

Here is the command with full output.
youtube-dl  https://www.youtube.com/embed/VGNMhK8Yssg
[youtube] Extracting URL: https://www.youtube.com/embed/VGNMhK8Yssg
[youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading webpage
WARNING: [youtube] Unable to download webpage: [Errno -2] Name or
service not known
[youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading ios player API JSON
WARNING: [youtube] [Errno -2] Name or service not known. Retrying
(1/3)...
[youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading ios player API JSON
WARNING: [youtube] [Errno -2] Name or service not known. Retrying
(2/3)...
[youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading ios player API JSON
WARNING: [youtube] [Errno -2] Name or service not known. Retrying
(3/3)...
[youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading ios player API JSON
WARNING: [youtube] Unable to download API page: [Errno -2] Name or
service not known (caused by TransportError('[Errno -2] Name or
service not known'))
[youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading iframe API JS
WARNING: [youtube] Unable to download webpage: [Errno -2] Name or
service not known
[youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading web player API JSON
WARNING: [youtube] [Errno -2] Name or service not known. Retrying
(1/3)...
[youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading web player API JSON
WARNING: [youtube] [Errno -2] Name or service not known. Retrying
(2/3)...
[youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading web player API JSON
WARNING: [youtube] [Errno -2] Name or service not known. Retrying
(3/3)...
[youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading web player API JSON
WARNING: [youtube] Unable to download API page: [Errno -2] Name or
service not known (caused by TransportError('[Errno -2] Name or
service not known'))
ERROR: [youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Failed to extract any player response;
please report this issue on
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/issues?q= , filling out the
appropriate issue template. Confirm you are on the latest version
using  yt-dlp -U

I put the URL in firefox on  Windows which uses the same dns -- it all
goes through my linux box -- and it worked fine, so it seems
youtube-dl  is not working.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una