On Sun, Jun 02, 2024 at 02:06:59AM -0400, John Covici wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jun 2024 23:19:37 -0400,
> Paul Colquhoun wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday, June 2, 2024 1:34:20 A.M. AEST John Covici wrote:
> > > The great program yt-dlp no longer will download from youtube.  It
> > > complains that name or service not known.  It works fine downloading
> > > from rumble.  Anyone know  what is happening?  I assume youtube did
> > > some update that broke something.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> >

> > It's working for me.
> >
> > Can you post a full command line that isn't working?
> >
> Here is the command with full output.
> youtube-dl  https://www.youtube.com/embed/VGNMhK8Yssg
> [youtube] Extracting URL: https://www.youtube.com/embed/VGNMhK8Yssg
> [youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading webpage
> WARNING: [youtube] Unable to download webpage: [Errno -2] Name or
> service not known
> [youtube] VGNMhK8Yssg: Downloading ios player API JSON
> WARNING: [youtube] [Errno -2] Name or service not known. Retrying

Are you using systemd? Not necessarily going to be that but a recent
obscure issue that triggered only with some specific applications
and urls (yt-dlp + youtube being one), were due to a bug in
systemd-resolved with DNSSEC. You may have messages about dnssec in
systemd logs if so.

Been fixed a while ago (assuming the bug didn't resurface), but may
want to check that your systemd is up-to-date and reboot to ensure
not still running an old systemd.
--
ionen