Hi Joost,

On 6/4/24 12:29 AM, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
I don't use FibreChannel myself (can't justify the cost).

I hear that. I manage an old EMC for a friend who's still using it as clustered storage for an old VMware install. It started giving us occasional hiccups (corrected memory errors) so we're assembling a cold spare. He's footing the bill and I get to play with the equipment. }:-) Though honestly, the bill ins't that bad any more.

But with SAS drives with dual expanders and 2 HBAs, I do get multipath to work.

ACK

The OS sees every drive 4 times (2 HBAs, each 2 paths to every drive).

Four times surprises me. -- I know that SAS drives have two SAS channels / lanes / terms? on them. But I don't know how those are both connected to two controllers. I would have naively assumed each drive showed up as two drives, one for each channel / lane / ???. I guess if there is some sort of multiplexor / breakout / backplane there's a way to connect both controllers to both channels / lanes / ??? on each drive and four paths would make sense.

Aside: I'd like to know more about how you're doing that physical connection.

On top of this, I run multipath with the default configuration and use the corresponding /dev/mapper/... entries.

So dev-mapper multipathing is working in a contemporary Gentoo system. Thank you for the confirmation. That's what I was wanting.

I'm going to assume that I have something mis-configured in dev-mapper as it wasn't originally used on my test system and only added for the FC testing.

I NEVER use the any of the other entries in the /dev/... tree.

I understand what you're saying. I'd be following suit if multi-path was working. -- I'm /well/ aware of the hazards of using the member / backing disks vs the multi-path disk.

Based on that, do you see the fibrechannel drives show up as /dev/sd... entries on your system at all?

Yes, both test LUNs (1 x 10 GB and 1 x 100 GB) show up once per client HBA port.

Aside: I don't have the fiber switch in place yet, so I'm using cables directly out of an HBA port into an EMC controller port.

I am seeing the expected number of /dev/sd* for the LUNs.

/dev/sdd = 10 GB
/dev/sdf = 100 GB
/dev/sdg = 10 GB
/dev/sdh = 100 GB

If yes, then multipath should pick them up.

That's what I thought.

As I get into the multipath command and debug things it seems like something thinks the paths are offline despite the underlying member / backing disks being online and accessible.

If not, I would expect you need to get them seen via all the paths first.

Yep. I can see them via their underlying member / backing paths without any problem.

This feels like a device-mapper -> multipath issue to me.

It /may/ be complicated by the old EMC but I'd be surprised by that.

Thank you for confirming that device-mapper multipathing should be working. -- Now that I know that I'm not chasing a ghost, I'll spend some more time making sure that device-mapepr and multipathing is installed and configured properly (USE flags, kernel options, user space utilties, etc) before taking another swing at dm-multipath for the SAN LUNs.

--
Grant. . . .