On 2024-06-16, Wol wrote:

> On 15/06/2024 20:35, Dale wrote:
>> I'm not opposed to efi.  I remember when the old Grub reached its
>> end of life. Grub2 is different but it works.  I don't use the eye
>> candy part so that makes it even easier.  The biggest thing, I copy
>> my kernels and such over manually and I keep a couple older ones
>> that I want to be available.  I also plan to install memtest, a
>> rescue image or two and those need to be available as well.  I may
>> still use Grub, I may not.  Right now, I'm clueless.  I'm just
>> trying to follow the docs which given all the options available are
>> confusing to follow.
>
> At the end of the day, all these things are pretty much the same. Back
> in the ancient days, you had a switch panel you toggled to put in the
> boot code.
>
> Then they put a basic interpreter in ROM.
>
> Then they got rid of basic and put code in that said "here's a bit of
> disk controller code, go to chs(0,0,0), read one block and execute
> it".
>
> Now UEFI is just a bit more fancy code that says "here's a gpt table
> reader, a vFAT driver, and a mini program that looks in any FAT
> partition it can find for an EFI directory, and runs whatever it finds
> in there".

I thought UEFI firmware as a replacement to PC BIOS tried to do more,
including handling video modes before loading the boot code.

> So the principle hasn't changed, but the detail has.
>
> And of course, all the rules get bent by the various
> manufacturers. Bear in mind that basic EFI predates vFAT so even in
> UEFI vFAT isn't actually mandatory. Apple don't use it, iirc. There's
> nothing stopping GNU's OpenBIOS project or whatever it is using
> ext4. But vFAT is the official "lowest common denominator" which
> everything must support if it's not "single vendor for hardware and
> software". Which is why, of course, MS can't play fun and games - if
> they say Windows won't support vFAT they'll get hammered for
> anti-trust.

But there are systems using exFAT, right? You mean UEFI firmwares will
happily accept other filesystems?

I was under the impression (not having any UEFI computer here, so not
from personal experience, just from seeing instructions given to other
people a few times) that this was pretty much the usual "every
system wants the Microsoft FS", but made worse because instead of the
commonplace and widely-supported FAT* it had to be exFAT.

(One might wonder why does it have to be a Microsoft filesystem at
all...)

Or is the problem that many UEFI bootloaders that are in the firmware
behave in a less than optimal way with implementation details and
unimplemented features?

--
Nuno Silva