On Monday, 24 June 2024 17:54:44 BST Dale wrote:
> Michael wrote:

> > For an ESP on a disk partition, it would be FAT32 (while FAT12 or FAT16
> > can be used for removable media).  VFAT is an extension to FAT allowing
> > long filenames.  In any case it's just a symlink:
> >
> > ~ $ ls -la /usr/bin/mkfs.vfat
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Mar 24 08:52 /usr/bin/mkfs.vfat -> mkfs.fat
>
> I followed the guide.  I copied the mkfs command and the option then
> replaced with my partition info.  The command in the docs was a sda
> drive not nvme.  This part of the docs worked fine last time.  I just
> repeated the same.

Good.  You'll have the correct filesystem format for your EFI system
partition.  :-)

[snip ...]
> I also ran into that locale thing again.  Using your export command,
> fixed it, again.  I find it odd that the commands to reset the
> environment does not reset that somehow.  Anyway, it works.  I have that
> LC_ALL set on my main rig.  It's been that way for years.  Should I
> change it or leave it since it works??

It is recommended to leave the LC_ALL unset, because it overrides all other
settings.  Check the 'Warning' under the section "Environment variables for
locales" on this Guide:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Localization/Guide

If you have it in your /etc/env.d/02locale, or your bashrc, or any other
startup script, unset it.  When you call:

~ $ locale

at the end it should have an empty LC_ALL:

LC_ALL=

> My CPU seems to be running about 20F cooler now.

Cool!  Ha!  Quite literally.  ;-)