Michael wrote:
> On Monday, 24 June 2024 14:25:47 BST Dale wrote:
>> Michael wrote:
>>> You should at least try to launch a X11 session using a console and see
>>> what is printed out on the CLI after you exit (or if it crashes).
>>>
>>> ~ $ exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session startplasma-x11
>> I tried every combination I could think of.  It seems the more I tried,
>> the worse the failure got.
>>
>> Anyway, I've started a fresh install.  I fixed my partition boo boo.  I
>> didn't need much of anything except to just get a fresh start so I used
>> the zap feature of gdisk.  After that, I used cgdisk to set up
>> everything else, making sure the efi partition was ef00 and had the old
>> fat type partition on it.  Or was it vfat?  Whatever the docs said.  I
>> copy and paste some of it except for the partition info.
> For an ESP on a disk partition, it would be FAT32 (while FAT12 or FAT16 can
> be
> used for removable media).  VFAT is an extension to FAT allowing long
> filenames.  In any case it's just a symlink:
>
> ~ $ ls -la /usr/bin/mkfs.vfat
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Mar 24 08:52 /usr/bin/mkfs.vfat -> mkfs.fat

I followed the guide.  I copied the mkfs command and the option then
replaced with my partition info.  The command in the docs was a sda
drive not nvme.  This part of the docs worked fine last time.  I just
repeated the same.

>> I did notice one thing, I copied some USE flags over from my current
>> rig.  I found some that might not should have been copied over before.
>> I wonder if that could have caused a problem or two.  I realized I chose
>> the merged /usr stage3 but had split-usr USE flag in make.conf.  That
>> was one I remembered.  There was a couple others as well.
> Some of the USE flags will be dictated by the make.profile you used.  If you
> selected the merged /usr profile 23.0 and the corresponding non-legacy stage
> 3
> archive for desktop plasma 23.0, you shouldn't have USE="split-usr".

When I copied over my USE line from make.conf, it is quite lengthy.  I
bet I missed that split-usr and could have missed a couple others.  I'm
not sure what problems that could cause tho.  I did look through it
pretty good this time.  What made me notice the difference, when I got
the link for the stage3 file, the one for split-usr is in a different
section, most likely because it is going away.  I didn't even see it for
the first install.  It's kinda to the right away from the others.  That
is one thing I noticed that was wrong, so far.  I may run into something
else before it is over.  I said before that it is likely me that missed
something.  A package, USE flag or something.  At this point, USE flag
applies.

I also ran into that locale thing again.  Using your export command,
fixed it, again.  I find it odd that the commands to reset the
environment does not reset that somehow.  Anyway, it works.  I have that
LC_ALL set on my main rig.  It's been that way for years.  Should I
change it or leave it since it works??

My CPU seems to be running about 20F cooler now.  I may try stress again
later to make sure it is maxed out long enough to show up accurately.

Dale

:-)  :-)