Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 10:18 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 4:01 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> > >
> > > I think the rig and video card are fine.  I did try a different
> card and version of nvidia drivers once tho.  Same thing.  At first, I
> tried the nouveau drivers.  All the bootable media uses that driver.
> When I tried it on my install, it was very slow and the mouse pointer
> was very jerky.  It was horrible.  I removed those drivers and
> installed nvidia.  Sadly, things got worse.
> > >
> > > I'll boot into Kubuntu again and see what info it has.  The ones I
> attached tho is all there was. Either it doesn't have those files or
> the files were blank.  I think Xorg and messages was all there was.
> > >
> > > I'm out of steam.  May boot Kubuntu and let it sit while I nap.
> It worked for several minutes last time tho.  It seemed to work fine.
> Very fast too, unlike on my install.
> > >

> > Yeah, I can hear the frustration and weariness in your writing.
> However I know you are up to fixing this.
> >
> > One additional experiment you can do, and I suspect Kubuntu passes
> every time, is boot the machine with the monitor plugged into each
> port one at a time. Do complete power downs between each boot. If
> Kubuntu comes up it will really tell you a stable, tested OS has
> solved these problems. If it doesn't then that's good info also.
> >
> > I think possibly you purchased a Quadro adapter? I don't know how
> popular those are amongst this crowd but they have been very popular
> in business settings. That might make a bigger difference in terms of
> the nvidia driver vs the Open Source one.
> >
> > Good luck with your machine,
> > Mark
> >

> > I admit, I'm thinking about unplugging the thing and sticking it in
> the closet.  If nothing else, I'm tired of walking around this huge
> thing.  I was hoping to have switched long ago.  Usually, I look
> forward and even get excited to build a new rig.  This time, with the
> lacking slots of the original mobo and having to go way down power
> wise, I just want to make sure I have a working computer if something
> happens to my main rig.  There's not a whole lot to get excited
> about.  Having it not work, well, that doesn't help.  Poor Michael is
> trying to help but this thing is weird.  With every reboot, it does
> something differently.
> >
> > On the Kubuntu test.  I started with what the bracket shows as port
> 1.  I then went through each port until I got to port 4.  I rebooted
> in between each switch.  Even unplugged the monitor.  It worked every
> time.  During the booting of the image tho, there was several seconds
> where the screen went weird.  It had these horizontal lines on it that
> looked like stair steps.  I've seen this type of thing on other boot
> media even with my main rig and the NAS box.  It's like the image is
> [...]

Doing that was actually not much trouble.  I booted, changed something
just in case it rebooted and went back for some reason but would change
something on the screen.  Usually, I change the page on the KDE welcome
screen to like page 4 or something.  If it were to restart the GUI or
anything, it would go back to page 1.  Anyway, once booted, I'd go do
something else for a while.  Then when I came back, shutdown, change
port and repeat.

To Micheal's point tho, I suspect the boot media I'm using is slow
enough, loading from a USB stick instead of a m.2 drive, that it also is
able to get the info needed, most likely from the monitor, and work like
it should.  This could literally be a system that is just going to
fast.  By the time the monitor gets the request, the computer has
already moved on except for those rare occasions where it works.

I have a 2.5" SSD drive.  I actually mounted it in the system already
just not hooked up to power or data cables.  I could install Kubuntu on
that easily.  If I get the steam up, I just may do that.  Between
working on this new build, my sis-n-law being sick, I just had to much
going on for to long.  Just a bit ago I walked up a very steep hill to
take watermelons in the house for her.  I can walk up faster than I can
drive up.  No other powered vehicle I can use.  Car and feet is all I
got.  Still, that walk up the hill and carrying watermelons up the steps
took my energy level down a few more notches.  Thank goodness for my
meds.  At least my back isn't so angry at me.

I just hope this new monitor works out of the box, and doesn't get
damaged in shipping.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  I'm pretty sure the recent upgrade put my main rig on KDE6.  I
had some clashes with lxqt or something to the point I uninstalled it,
did the KDE update and then added lxqt? back.  I still had to work out
some issues.  So far, it is working OK.  No problems or anything except
for losing my weather thingy on the bottom panel.  I'm sure that will be
updated soon.  May do the same on the new rig if I get time.  Not that I
can test it or anything tho.  LOL