Michael wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 June 2024 22:06:36 BST Dale wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> Hi Dale,
>>>    I have returned home and can once again bottom post.
>>>
>>>    There's no way I'm going to read and understand this
>>>
>>> 1) Did you ever actually try the Kubunu option that didn't
>>> require an install? I saw you mentions Knoppix and maybe
>>> one other option. Just curious as to what the results were.
>>>
>>> 2) I see you discussing xorg.conf file which I don't use
>>> here but did you generate this file - if you are really using
>>> it - using the nvidia-settings app, or by hand?
>>>
>>>    If your system will stay up I believe nvidia-settings is
>>> recommended by NVidia, or was anyway. It does a good
>>> job of showing the layout and handling options that NVidia
>>> says make their cards work better.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>> Mark
>> I booted the Gentoo live image and Knoppix.  Knoppix is old.  I don't
>> think it is being maintained anymore but even on this new hardware, even
>> it worked.  I've booted other things to and all work fine except the
>> Gentoo install, the one thing I need to work.  I checked, I did download
>> Kubuntu but I don't remember trying it.  With my memory tho, I may have
>> and just don't remember it.  :/  I'll add it to my Ventoy stick and try
>> it shortly.  It's hot, humid and my energy level isn't much.  The family
>> visit to the hospital drained me good.  And she is still sick.  I took
>> her some tomatoes this morning and she likes the peaches I got for her
>> too.  Not much she can eat.
>>
>> I've tried with no xorg.conf at first.  Then I tried with one that tells
>> it to use the nvidia driver, even tho lsmod shows it loaded and lspci -k
>> shows it being used.  Then I used nvidia-xconfig to create a conf file.
>> Then I tried some options that Michael suggested.  On occasion, it
>> works.  Most of the time, it doesn't.  To be honest, I'm not sure if
>> anything we do is affecting it.  I think sometimes things just drop into
>> place and it works.  Most of the time, things don't drop into place and
>> it fails or only partially works.
>>
>> Given I've used different boot media, a different video card and
>> different config options, I'm thinking it is the monitor and it just
>> clashes with this one install but works with others, which may figure
>> out to ignore what the monitor fails to do.  I find it odd but it is
>> logical.
>>
>> I've tried to use nvidia-settings but the man page is like Greek.  The
>> one thing I did figure out, -q all.  On my main rig, it spits out TONS
>> of info.  On the new rig, it just says something like no display found
>> or something.  It's like two lines, maybe one.
>>
>> Had several interruptions so managed to try Kubuntu "Try" option.  It
>> comes up just fine, correct resolution, plasma is working and all.  I'm
>> attaching the Xorg log from Kubuntu.
>>
>> Maybe the Kubuntu log will shed some light.
>>
>> Dale

> [...]

This reply may be a little odd.  I wrote some then went back and tried
some stuff and added info to it.  Trying to make it make sense.

At first, when it really wouldn't work, I had it on the bottom port.  At
some point we thought that was the last port, #4 or DP-3 in the logs,
and not the first port.  I moved it to the top port which is #1, we
thought.  It's still on that port but that port did work once and
resulted in "solved" being added to the subject line.  I just double
checked.  It is plugged in the top port.  Unless the bottom port is #1
like I originally thought, then it should be on port #1.  I did a search
and found a image that shows it puts the port number on the metal
bracket.  I removed the card so I could see the numbers.  The bottom
port is number 1 like I originally thought.  So, I had it in the right
port to begin with, which wasn't working either.  I'll put it back on
what the metal bracket says is port #1, or bottom port.  I booted up,
started DM, correct resolution but no plasma and background is black.
Still not a functional desktop.  Partially works tho.  Time to reboot.
On reboot, sddm and KDE are low resolution.  It does have a background
image and plasma is working.  Keep in mind, all I did is reboot.  I
didn't change any config file or run any commands.  Reboot again.  This
time, correct resolution but no plasma.  Again, all I did was reboot.
No changes to anything at all.  As you can see, each time I reboot, it
is like rolling dice.  I suspect if I keep rebooting it will eventually
do the black screen and power the monitor off.

I did originally try to use the nouveau drivers.  It kinda worked, once
at least, but the screen was very slow to respond and the mouse was very
jerky.  It just wasn't good enough for whatever reason.  I recompiled
the kernel without those drivers and emerged nvidia.  Ever since then,
it has been hit or miss as to whether the monitor works or not.  I even
tried a different version of nvidia to see if that version had a bug.
No change.  If the nouveau drivers were fast enough, I'd use them.
Thing is, even with just one monitor, it was bad slow.  I'll have at
least two monitors and at times three hooked up.  I doubt the nouveau
drivers would even be usable.

The new monitor has shipped.  No delivery date yet but latest estimation
is early next week.  I'm gonna like it being a little larger.  I just
hope it works.  Different brand and all so maybe it will.  My main rig
has a Samsung.  It has always worked.

Dale

:-)  :-)