Norberto Bensa schreef:
> Peter Ruskin wrote:
>
>> ebegin "Checking that /usr/src/linux is linked to booted kernel..."
>>  if [ "/usr/src/linux-$(uname -r)" != "$(ls -l /usr/src/linux|cut
>> -f2 -d\>|cut -f2,3,4 -d' ')" ]
>

> This looks more complicated than it really should be. Just run "ln"
> on reboot (stolen from your post):
>
> rm -f /usr/src/linux ln -s /usr/src/linux-$(uname -r) /usr/src/linux

Thanks for the tip-- but (no offense meant) who cares?

Can someone tell me on what basis this *needs* to be done as a standard
operation?

-- If you have some external module that compiles against the kernel
source, you most likely need it against *all* kernel sources, not just
the running one (so redirecting the link is only of limited usefulness);

-- If you need some external module compiled against the kernel source
and you don't have it (thus needing to compile it against the currently
running kernel), then there's likely to be something seriously wrong
with that boot anyway (you don't have 3D hardware acceleration, you
don't have wireless networking, you don't have sound-- whatever the
external module in question is), so you're much less likely to boot it
as a matter of course... Not that you wouldn't want to try to fix it,
and if you did try, you would naturally want to compile the external
modules against that kernel source, but that doesn't by a long shot add
up to redirecting the /linux symlink every time you boot;

--makes no provision for newly-installed/upgraded kernel sources, which
imo need the symlink more than old, already compiled kernels. Or rather,
if you redirect the symlink to the currently running kernel at boot, you
have to redirect it again to your about-to-be-installed kernel in order to
compile the external modules against it anyway, so why do extra work--
either you wait till you compile and boot the new kernel to redirect the
symlink (at which point you've got a half-broke system because the
needed external modules have not yet been compiled because the symlink
was not redirected unless you use the "symlink" USE flag when emerging,
which rather negates the point of having redirected the symlink to the
currently-running kernel), then compile the external modules, then
reboot to load the external modules (depending on the module), or you
redirect the symlink manually before compiling the newly-installed
source, which (again) negates the purpose of redirecting the symlink
automatically at boot (rather than via the USE flag during emerge) in
the first place?

Not getting it at all. How many kernels does one keep in a bootable
state, anyway-- and use commonly, without needed external modules, no
less-- that this would be necessary?

Really, truly, not getting the point.

Holly