I couldn't have said it better myself.

On 11/16/05, Benjamin Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wednesday 16 November 2005 21:47, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I'm not a developer and I've never done a Stage 1 install so I cannot
> say for sure, but it's my understanding that after a Stage 3 install
> most people end up rebuilding everything anyway within a few weeks.
> Very soon my Stage 3 and your Stage 1 are identical. The Stage 1
> allows me to get the machine up and running sooner.
>
> Just my take on the question.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

True that the installations become identical very soon. But what if I set up
server using stage 1 and an up-to-date portage tree. After the installation
is finished it'll sit around doing whatever it's supposed to do and I don't
really touch it except for security related updates.
Just an example where stage 1 was a nice option. Taking away such an option
doesn't sound all too much like the gentoo way to me.

--
Derek Tracy