Holly Bostick <motub <at> planet.nl> writes:

> I said that the situation of upgrading a kernel with the 'symlink' USE
> flag active occurring at the same time as a (particular) program needing
> to compile against a configured kernel was not likely to occur all that
> often, but I was wrong. It's happened again today, but with a different
> program than the ones I normally keep an eye on.

> The good thing is that I (think I) see what the problem is.

> The problem is that Portage emerges the new kernel before (almost)
> everything else, without regard for whether the 'symlink' USE flag is
> active, and whether or not any of the other programs proposed to emerge
> need to compile against a configured kernel source-- or rather, the
> currently-running kernel, which the symlink most likely pointed to
> before Portage changed it via a previous emerge.

Folks either I'm missing the  boat entirely, or this is far simpler
than these correspondances indicate.

/etc/src contains this:
rw-r--r--   1 root root    0 Aug 24 14:54 .keep
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   22 Nov  3 16:35 linux -> linux-2.6.13-gentoo-r5
drwxr-xr-x  19 root root 1280 Oct  5 16:42 linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r9
drwxr-xr-x  19 root root 1280 Nov 22 16:21 linux-2.6.13-gentoo-r5
drwxr-xr-x  18 root root  688 Oct 30 01:02 linux-2.6.14-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x  18 root root  688 Nov 14 02:45 linux-2.6.14-gentoo-r2
drwxr-xr-x  18 root root  688 Nov 17 21:04 linux-2.6.14.2

But since my symlink is to the 'linux-2.6.13-gentoo-r5' kernel
source, that is what all of my packages use as a default to
compile against, unless I use some of these techniques that
others have listed?  Am I correct?

I have several kernel-sources later than 'linux-2.6.13-gentoo-r5'
some vanilla some gentoo. How would portage know which one to
compile against if not the symlink set in /usr/src?

Did I miss something or this conversation only relevant if
one chooses to set USE flags in lieu of a symlink in /usr/src?

Why would you want to control this behavior with a USE flag
versus an 'old fashion symlink' in /usr/src?

confused............
James