On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:26:56 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> I have several kernel-sources later than 'linux-2.6.13-gentoo-r5'
> some vanilla some gentoo. How would portage know which one to
> compile against if not the symlink set in /usr/src?

uname -r returns the currently running kernel version.

> Did I miss something or this conversation only relevant if
> one chooses to set USE flags in lieu of a symlink in /usr/src?
>
> Why would you want to control this behavior with a USE flag
> versus an 'old fashion symlink' in /usr/src?

The sylink is still used, but maintained by portage when you install
new kernel sources. The USE flag in question is 'symlink'

# useflag symlink
/usr/portage/profiles/use.desc:symlink - Force kernel ebuilds to automatically
update the /usr/src/linux symlink.

--
Neil Bothwick

OPERATOR ERROR: Nyah, Nyah, Nyah, Nyah, Nyah!