I thought it was fully compiled, but I didn't check back before I closed
the compile window (my bad).  There are only 3.5GB free on my \var
directory, so it's possible.

I tried replacing the /var/tmp/portage directory with a symlink to my
data drive to a directory owned by portage (group and user) on that
drive, but portage failed to compile on that directory, quoting acces
denied errors as it tried to create the necessary temporary directories.

What is the correct way to set portage up to compile on another drive?

Thanks

Jeff