WORD OF WARNING.  I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS!!!!!

I think it is in make.conf.  Looks something like this:

># PORTAGE_TMPDIR is the location portage will use for compilations and
>#     temporary storage of data. This can get VERY large depending upon
>#     the application being installed.
>#PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp

I would assume you would change that to say PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/mnt/data or
whereever you have the most space.

Don't forget to remove the "#" though. May want to change it back
afterwords too.   It got really big on mine.  It was likely about 4 or
5GBs before it was done.  My / went from 18% to something like 30%.  It
is a 15GB partition.  I did delete some other files, about 1GBs worth
though.  I didn't realize it was the compile at first.  Sort of freaked
me out.

Hope you don't bork your rig.

Dale
:-)