Ryan Tandy wrote:

> Actually, names of files aren't contained in the ebuilds - they're
> created by the compilation process.  Portage keeps track of what files
> are created during the merge for uninstallation later, but it doesn't
> know beforehand what the files will be.  The only way to find out what
> files will be installed by a given package is to open up its source
> tarball(s) and look in the makefiles for 'ld' or 'libtool' calls.

yes, I know, but it means to download lot of tarballs, which is
a bit complicated ... therefore I wish to have database on gentoo.org :-)

IMHO names of files shouldn't be in ebuilds ...
it would be wasting lot of space, bandwidth etc. just for very sporadic
usage (btw. I needed it first time, while using gentoo for >3 years)

noro