Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'm about to install gentoo on an athlon64.  Is there enough 64 bit
> software and other good reasons to use the 64 bit version?
>
> Although a long time linux user, I'm not particularly skilled at
> dealing with problems (a slow learning or just thick headed I guess).
>
> But have cross posted this to hear from both 32 and 64 bit advocates.
>
> --

we are currently replacing ALL of our 32-bit servers with 64-bit opterons
(dual core in some cases) and have found very few serverish things we
wanted to do that weren't supported.  Most of these are webservers running
zope and squid, with some running apache.  Our applications developers had
to change a few things to accomodate the 64-bit python, but other than
that, pretty much a slam-dunk.  Not running x or any desktops, though, so
depending on your workload, your milage may vary.

--
John Jolet
Your On-Demand IT Department