At Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:27:10 +0000 "C. Beamer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
>>Had you built xorg-x11 when the kernel didn't have acpi support?
>>I ask because a long build could be raising the temperature of your
>>laptop and it is shutting off to save itself from frying.
>>
>>I have had dell service replace motherboards on two laptops because of
>>this problem.
>>

> Actually, my laptop is a Dell.  To answer your question, I had build
> acpi into the kernel prior to trying to emerge xorg-x11.

I would say that it is then more likely to be heat caused by the long
build than by acpi.  But of course you can turn off acpi and try the
emerge again to be sure.

> However, I didn't change any of the default selections that were
> there when I ran genkernel --menuconfig all.  The think I didn't do
> was emerge acpid and adjust the settings as per the instructions in
> the ACPI Guide.  I'm going to try this now to see if that fixes the
> problem.
>
> Another thing, there was a choice to build Dell laptop support into the
> kernel and I selected this.  Hopefully, that isn't 'causing anything
> "quirky".

I have a dell 5150 and the only kernel options I remember were for a
different dell (8600?) so I didn't use them.

I would run dell's diagnostic.  The best case (assuming you have a
service contract) would be if it found an error; the second best would
be if the machine turned off during the diagnostic.

I have dell service and when the laptop turned off, dell fixed it with
no real fuss.

allan