Doug Brown wrote:
My mobo's chipset (nvidia nf 4) doesn't support raid real well, and I have read that Linux Software raid is very good. I am getting ready to install Gentoo 2005.1 64bit real soon (I am new to Gentoo), and I was wondering what types of raid it supports. I know it supports 0 and 1, but I am more interested in raid 0+1 and 1+0.

Linux software raid is capable of doing all the usual stuff as well as RAID 0+1 or 1+0. I'd want a RAID 0 stripe of mirrored RAID 1 sets rather than mirroring two RAID 0 sets, but my requirements may not be yours.

Assuming this is a small home system I'd go with RAID 5 with maybe a hot spare if I have more than four drives in a normal server setting where reads happen more often than writes. That's more space with comparable performance for anything you're likely to be doing. If you really need the performance spend the money on a real RAID card with local cache. The difference is night and day.

kashani