On 12/22/05, daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've having considerable trouble with writing to a simple tape drive and I'm
> hoping that someone here has some experience with it:
>
> I'm using a Quantum Superloader, so I've installed mtx to manipulate the
> tapes.  This part works without issue.
>
> Load the tape from slot #3:
>
>   # mtx -f /dev/sg2 load 3
>
> Now that it's in the drive, I try to tar something onto it:
>
>   # cd /
>   # tar cf /dev/st0 bin/
>   bin/
>   bin/bash
>   <a VERY long wait>
>   tar: /dev/st0: Cannot write: Input/output error
>   tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Oy, it has been a _really_ long time since I used tape, so this is all
from memory, but I think you need to set the block size of the tape
drive and tar to make them agree.  Try:

mt -f /dev/st0 setblk 0
tar -cf /dev/st0 -b64 bin/

The above should set the tape drive to use variable size blocks, and
then use tar to write 32k blocks to it.  That is if I remember my mt
commands correctly...

-Richard