Matthias Langer wrote:

Can anybody tell me if it is normal that files on ntfs partitions are
executable by default when mounting them under linux ? Or is it possible
that this has something to do with the following line from my fstab:

/dev/hde1 /mnt/bill ntfs user,umask=0000,nls=utf8 0 0

Thanks,
Matthias

I'm not a windoze user but I can dig in a man page on occasion. This may help. I'm not sure though.

noexec
Do not allow direct execution of any binaries on the mounted file system. (Until recently it was possible to run binaries anyway using a command like /lib/ld*.so /mnt/binary. This trick fails since Linux 2.4.25 / 2.6.0.)

I think you can put noexec in the options part of the fstab line to stop that. Oh man mount. Lots of options there.

Dale
:-)

--
To err is human, I'm most certainly human.

I have four rigs:

1:  Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two
80GB hard drives.
2:  Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive.
3:  Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 128MBs of ram and a 2.5GB
drive.
4:  Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB
SCSI drive.

All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.