Hi Andrew,
on Wednesday, 2006-01-11 at 16:27:41, you wrote:
>        try adding
> 'Section "DRI"
>          mode 0660
>          Group "video"
> endsection'
> to your xorg.conf

Oh, that rings a bell, I think I did that to another config a long time
ago...thanks, I'll try tomorrow @work!

> and no those are not the orginal packages, Xorg decided to move to a more
> flexable develepment model(imho) that splits alot of the parts up, if you
> look the driver for the i915 card will be x11-drivers/XF86-video-i810, it
> was done this way so things could be updated faster. instead of 6 months for
> a new driver it might be a week

Yup, I figured that was the motivation---but X.org and XFree86 are still
different projects with different code and all, so I was surprised that
the name starts in xf86- and the description says X.org... Wouldn't
xf86-something indicate a part of the XFree86 project?

cheers!
        Matthias
--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0  8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665