On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 02:49:10AM -0600, Penguin Lover Dale squawked:
> I have started a fresh install.  I have tried everything I can think of and
> it
> still won't work.  Mozilla will not open at all.  Even the binary version
> stopped working.
>
> I'm doing my install on another drive.  I wonder if this one is going out.
> It
> sounds fine though.  I'm not sure what is up.  At least this install is going
> better than the last few tries.  I found out that because my CD is old, I
> have to upgrade portage right away.  It gives a error right off the bat.
>
> Wish me Luck.  Thanks for all the help.  This is really weird.

Since you are doing a fresh install anyway, try the following: (since
I have no idea what is going on with your box, I am just throwing out
random suggestions.)

I re-read your emerge --info, and noticed that you've set the LDFLAGS
variable to "-Wl -z,now", comment that line out from /etc/make.conf
before you re-install. There might be some weird condition happening
that disabling lazy binding is causing start-up problems with mozilla
(for example, your 30 minute long start-up). Also, I am pretty sure
that with the -z switch, you don't need the -Wl part--gcc recognizes
it as always a linker switch, so you only really need to set the
LDFLAGS to "-z now" and it would be fine.

The one thing is, it seems at this point that whatever goes wrong
might be further up the toolchain then just mozilla. Usually if
everything else works as expected, we should be able to expect
mozilla-bin to run, even if the compiled version of mozilla doesn't.
Now, the question is: did you try using mozilla-bin before your
emerge -e world? If so, did it work? If that's the case, your
rebuilding might have made matters worse.

Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see a bird that
had the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is
because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.
          ~Dale Carnegie
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 65 days, 11:38