On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:27:32 +0930
Iain Buchanan wrote:

> As far as I recall for Fedora (haven't used it in a while) what you
> download as a src.rpm is already patched the way Fedora has compiled it
> to make the rpm.  I don't know about the others, but I assume all binary
> distro's would be the same or similar...

For the record I think you are (slightly) wrong.

The idea of source rpm's is that they contain the pristine sources from
the upstream authors, along with a set of patches that get applied when
you compile the src.rpm package. So you will likely get inside the
src.rpm package:

* the original unpatched source as a tar.gz or tar.bz2 file (as packaged
upstream)

* a set of patch files - some of which may be distro specific, some of
which may have been produced elsewhere in the community

* a .spec file which is the equivalent of the .ebuild file - ie the
build and install instructions

* scripts for pre/post install/uninstall actions.

So in short it is pretty easy to find what patches have been applied to
produce the binary package, provided you can find the src.rpm (even the .spec
file will tell you a lot).

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>