On Tuesday 17 January 2006 22:48, Iain Buchanan wrote:

< snip >

> What you can try is:
> 1. Make sure you're actually on your isp.com network - get the ip
> address of their mail server, and get your ip address and see.
> 2. Enable passwords with your mail client - not just to check mail, but
> to send mail as well.  (With evolution its in Edit > Prefs > Mail
> Accounts > (select account) > edit > Sending Mail > Authentication.  It
> looks like you're using mozilla though...)
>
> HTH, and as I said, I hope this wasn't already mentioned in the original
> thread...
> --
> Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
>
> Do not count your chickens before they are hatched.
>               -- Aesop

I do connect directly to my ISP.  I have even tried different numbers to dial
into and get the same error.  How would I get the IP address of the mail
server though?  I know how to get mine.  I assume ifconfig would tell me.

Also, keep in mind that Kmail works at least at the moment anyway.

It does come up and ask for a password when I connect the first time.  I tell
it to store the password so I don't have to type it in each time.

Those would be a good start though.  This is getting weird.

Thanks and let me know on the IP address.

Dale
:-)