Hi again,

sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday - I took my hard drive out last
night and replaced it with a new one (plus a fresh install) and I only
got it back up this morning.

I think the traceroute and ethereal are the two leads to follow here:

1. why are you dialling into exceedtech but getting an ip address on the
QWest network (according to Richard Fish - well spotted!)

and

2. what is your mozilla setting:
"Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings" > "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" > "Use
name and password" (is it ticked or not?) and what is the "Server Name"?

Also,  wrt to mozilla itself not starting - a) did you start it from the
terminal or from a menu launcher?  b) If from the terminal, did you get
any output?  c) Do you get the prompt back? d) What happens when you do
`ps aux | grep mozilla` while mozilla is in it's "won't start" phase?.

HTH,
--
Iain.