Michael,

Any NVIDIA card is a home run as far as Linux drivers go.  It will even allow you to run some advanced graphical applications if you chose.  If you're looking for the most for the money, I'd either try a 6600GT or the brand new 7200, which may not be released on the market yet, I'd check on that first.  The 6600GT will generally run betweeb 115-130 and the 7200 is priced starting at 99.00.  You should note that the 6600GT will have much better performance because of it's fast memory and the fact that it does not use TurboCache.  That uses a portion of your system RAM as video memory and really clogs things up.  You can go cheaper than the 100 dollar mark, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

Jason

On 1/23/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Simon. Answers follow:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Simon Kellett wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>> I'm looking for recommendations for a new video card. Obviously
>> something that works well with Linux in general and Gentoo in
>> particular.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Depends a bit on what you want: basic stuff or 3d-gaming !

Basic stuff. Not into games, and I don't watch movies on my computer
either.

>> Should I prefer a digital interface over the analog?
>
> I think yes: why convert to an analog signal when the source and
> receiver are both digital ? Also now problems with alignment. However,
> when I looked anyway, you could not save any money by only have DVI -
> you have to buy a card that supports both !!

Ok, that might not be so bad.