> > I understand that writing zeros over the file should permenately delete the
> > data
>
> Don't believe people telling that. The data will still be recoverable (with
> the right hardware). That is so because overwriting a "0" with a "0" will
> lead to another level of manetic field than overwriting a "1" with a "0". The
> only way to wipe out data safely is to write different random bit over it
> several times.

Almost everyone seems to agree that recovering data from a formatted
drive is possible.  What is the process by which this is done?  I've
read here that:

1. The space between tracks contains historical data information.

and:

2. There is a difference between a track written with a 0 and then
overwritten with a 0 and a track written with a 1 and then overwritten
with a 0.

Are these the two processes by which this data recovery is made possible?

- Grant