On Tuesday 07 February 2006 12:40 pm, Grant wrote:
> Hello, my housing complex just switched to an Airport router and I
> can't seem to connect.  They are supposedly using WEP.  There was a
> 5-character psk at first and wpa_supplicant told me it was an invalid
> key and it had to be at least 8 characters.  They switched it to a
> 13-character psk and I still can't connect, although I don't get the
> invalid key error now.  Does anyone know how to connect to a WEP
> Airport router with Gentoo?  Everyone else is using Windows and Mac
> and they are connecting just fine.  I've tried lots of different
> configurations in wpa_supplicant.conf to no avail and all of my
> software is up to date.
>
> - Grant

Well, this is, if not the right way, at least A way to do it...

iwconfig eth1 essid "whatevertheairportnetworknameis"
iwconfig eth1 key xxxx-xxxx-xx
ifconfig eth1 up
dchpcd eth1

That's the script I hacked out to connect to our local WEP encrypted Airport.
Your milage may vary.

--
Eric Bliss
systems design and integration,