On Saturday 11 February 2006 05:08, "b.n." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Weird USE flag behaviour':
> > This is a well-documented change in portage.  The use.defaults file is
> > no longer used.  Previously, this file would turn on use flags that
> > were neither enabled nor disabled based on packages you had installed.
> >  This was a bad idea to begin with, IMHO; RIP use.defaults.
>
> Why a bad idea? I find it made things easier. Of course you
> can disable [the flags] if you don't appear to like [them].

To much magic that was poorly understood by users and caused use flags to
"inexplicably" change state.  (It might turn off flags when packages were
removed e.g.)  Plus, it's more "the gentoo way" to not make decisions for
the user -- an einfo at the end of the emerge would probably be more in
line with that philosophy.  All IMHO, BTW.

> use.defaults appeared to me like healthy, rational behaviour and an help
> for the end user. Why has it been dropped?

You'd have to ask a gentoo developer for a real answer to that question.
(I suggest Cirian M. [sorry if I misspelled your name] for this, just
don't ask his for a filesystem recommendation ;).)

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]