On Monday 13 February 2006 00:07, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Gilberto Martins schreef:
> In any case, for each available kernel, make install copies 3 files (and
> makes 3 symlinks):
>
> config-kernel.version
> system.map-kernel.version
> vmlinuz-kernel.version
>
> the config file is just a convenience, but the vmlinuz and system.map
> are, afaik, required to boot the kernel.
>
> I don't know where system.map is copied from (the original compiled file
> name), but if I was you (which I of course am not), I would cd to
> /usr/src/linux and run make install to copy the kernel
> files properly to boot, because I suspect this is not happening however
> you're doing it.

I always copy do:
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-version-gentoo-r?
cp System.map /boot/System.map-version-gentoo-r?
cp .config /boot/config-version-gentoo-r?

System.map is a memory map of the kernel. It is quite informative in that
respect but it is certainly not necessary to boot. I just think it's
interesting to have.

--
Bo Andresen