Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> On Friday 17 February 2006 07:33, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

>> > so? how?
>>
>> Think, you might find out. What does noexec do, hm?
>>
>> Even *you* might find out...
>>
>> Well... If I think about it... No, you're too clueless
>> to find out.
>>
>> Hint 1: "noexec" nowadays makes it impossible to execute
>> programs stored on that filesystem.
>
> I know,

Obviously not.

> but it won't save you from anything.

It does. Like I said.

> After a user got in,

Then it is too late. noexec can save you exactly here.

> he is a user. And every user has a place with write
> permission (if he is user apache/httpd he has lots of places, where he can
> store code).

No, he doesn't.

>  Outside of /tmp.

Wrong.

> You see - it doesn't help you anything.

I see that you don't know what you're talking about.

>> Hint 2: /tmp (and /var/tmp) are (hopefully) the only places
>> where everybody can write.
>
> an attacker does not need a place, where everybody can write. He just needs
> SOME place, where he can write - like the home-directory of the user he just
> corrumpted.

But to gain access, most attacks need a place to write.

> Also, he can disrupt your system, by just filling up /tmp. No code needed for
> that.

True. /var/log might be even easier.

>> True. /var/tmp is a link to /tmp on my system. And if not, /var/tmp
>> could also easily be a seperate fs.
> and another partition ..,.

Hint: A link is not a partition. And even if it were another
filesystem - who cares?

>> > yes it is.
>>
>> Jaja. Just because you've got problems, it doesn't mean
>> that there ARE problems.
>
> it is wasted: if he has so many rights, that he could write to /usr, he has
> enough rights to remount it.

Of course not. Having write permissions doesn't mean that
somebody is root.

Answer the question.

> and /tmp is not needed, as soon  as you have breaken into the box.

Exactly - *as* *soon*.

> So, noexec and ro /usr will save you from nothing.

Wrong.

>> No, it's not. Write permissions don't mean, that somebody is root.
>
> in my /usr, yes it does.

Fine - who cares?

>> > yes really, you have to remount /usr everytime you update something.
>>
>> Jaja. You know, your exaggerations become boring...
>
> because it is true?

No, it's not.

> show me, how do you update something residing in /usr without remounting.

I don't.

>> c) Boot a rescue system like Knoppix and clean /tmp.
>
> yeah! but why boot from a boot-cd, if you don't have to? (hint:

Don't let it happen in the first place.

 /tmp not on
> its own, small partition)

Bad advice.

>> > because you are the one starting with 'server' and 'workstations'
>>
>> Correct. So what? Why are you asking?
>>
>> > and the OP
>> > never talked about one or the other.
>>
>> His system MUST be the one or the other.
>
> nope,

Wrong.

> there is a third category: personal computer (also called home
> computer).

Which is the WS class.

>> > if mounting becomes the major 'hold up' in your booting process, it
>> > becomes VERY noticable.
>>
>> Jaja. Do you actually expect to be taken seriously?
>
> not from you.

Fine.

> From thois mailing list I learnt, that if someone is not on your
> side, the person is wrong.

If you say so.

>> > I have been there,
>>
>> I doubt that.
>
> Why should I lie?

I've got no idea. But you obviously do.

> I had 3 ibm harddisks 1x10Gb,2x40gb one seagate 20gb and all and everything
> on
> its own partition.
> And it was hell after a while.

Because you overdid it: "all and everything on its own partition".

>> > More harddisks=bigger chance that one of them dies.
>>
>> True. So? What does this have to do with the fact, that the
>> available hd's are too small? Just as a reminder - that's
>> the scenario YOU are talking about.
>
> becuase you started with 'buy more harddisks'

As you started with "not enough space".

In your world, how do you get more space?

>> > you obviously don't understand simple statistics.
>>
>> Seems like. But maybe it's just, that I've got problems
>> following your nonsense, hm?
>
> you mean your nonesense?

No. I meant the nonesense that you write. Learn to read.

> Yep, it is hard to deal with you.

I'm just as anal as you are.

Alexander Skwar
--
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.