On Friday 17 February 2006 14:36, Rumen Yotov wrote:
> Hi,
> Please don't take this post as a signal for more battles.
> IMHO there are many true facts from both of you.
> Just a few point, as i have some (limited experience with hardened
> systems).
> 1.For 2-3 years using portage-tree in /var/portage, no problems so far,
> all it takes is a symlink in /usr & change in /etc/make.conf file.
> So i can mount all /usr as 'noexec'.

Forgive me for asking, but how is this possible???  The last time I checked
(which was 2 minutes ago...), /usr is where almost all the executables on my
system are - /usr/bin, /usr/kde/3.x, /usr/libexec, /usr/sbin...

I kinda doubt that I'll ever take advantage of a setup like this (at least on
this machine), but I am curious as to how that would work.

For my own machine (notebook with only a 60g hd), I only run 4 basic
partitions...

/boot - 70 meg (big just in case I want extra kernels, splash screens, etc.)
swap - 1/2 gig - kinda useless, since I upgraded the RAM from 256m to 2g :-)
/ - 35 gig - everything else Linux
25~ gig or so - Windows partition so I can run games in their native
environment without hassles.

Now, obviously, I haven't sub-partitioned my Linux stuff, mainly due to my
concerns over a lack of space in general - I don't want to have to worry
about ANY lost space to allow room on sub-partitions to not fill up to 100%.
Now, if I had a 200 gig drive, I might not be so concerned with space, and it
might make some sense for me to set up a few extra partitions.  But I don't,
and this works for my situation.

As I said at the start, I'm simply curious how you would manage to mount the
main executable storage area of your system as "noexec".

--
Eric Bliss
systems design and integration,