On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:54:04 -0800
gentuxx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also, one inherent flaw with your suggestion is the requirement of a
> livecd.  I know you mentioned floppy, but these are SPARC boxen and I
> doubt I could fit all the drivers/commands/etc. on a floppy, and one
> doesn't even have a floppy.  Thus the necessity for a network boot
> situation.

Why not setup a diskless boot via dhcp/tftp?  And boot the liveCD over the net?
It pretty much runs in memory.  Once the kernel in running, the rest could be
nfs
mounted.  You might have to tweak a startup/initrd script, but that should be
about it all.

See -

        http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/diskless-howto.xml
        http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap5