Hi,

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:51:21 +0100
Maarten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Back to the thread... I started wondering about something. I thought a
> 100% full root filesystem was deadly, but never thought about /tmp.
> So I'd like to ask, what is more deadly for a system, a full root FS, a
> full /tmp or a full /var ?  Why ?
> And as a bonus question: which one is worse during boot, and which one
> is worse on a fully booted and running system ?

/tmp shouldn't matter. full/read-only /var will disturb the gentoo rc
scripts. When running, programs/daemons may act funny when they can't
cope with the situation of full disks (e.g., PHP can't create session
files anymore). You can't expect logging to work, too.

Full/unwritable /etc may disturb some maintenance scripts, mount can't
update /etc/mtab.

Generally, nothing will prevent the kernel from booting and running any
exec that's still readable. So even with full disks, e.g.
init=/bin/bash in kernel command line will give a root shell and let
you fix things (after remounting the relevant partitions read-write).

So on a running system, /var and /tmp are the important trees that are
expected to be writable. This should be the same for the gentoo rc
scripts, but not the kernel bootup.

-hwh