> There are too damn many myths about swap out there. Like this one: Always
> configure twice as much swap as you have ram. Why? Why would I need more swap
> if I increased my ram? You need at least a little bit of swap for peak memory
> usage. Let's look at real numbers. Say, I am a bit low of ram for today's
> computers. I have 256MB ram. For peak usage, I add 128MB swap. I open so many
> applications/documents that the box starts swapping out 20MB. Sure, without
> swap space, I wouldn't have been able to open the last document. But nothing
> makes me stop there. I can as well run out of swap.
The rule I always used (and do use) is twice ram, up to one gig of ram.
Pretty much after that, I just do a gig of swap, and monitor it for growth.
If my swap goes up AT ALL, I examine the typical workload on the box and
consider adding ram.  Ram may be more expensive than disk, but at less than
$100 or so per gig, it's pretty cheap.  I use swap as a "safety net",
allowing me enough time to react if something goes nuts or leaks.