On Thursday 23 February 2006 15:31, Bo Andresen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] chroot: cannot run command `bin/bash': Exec
format error':
> On Thursday 23 February 2006 00:42, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > > livecd gentoo # chroot /mnt/gentoo bin/bash
> > > chroot: cannot run command `bin/bash': Exec format error
> >
> > Your 32-but kernel can't run the 64-bit bash.  You'll have to use a
> > 64-bit kernel (or as 32-bit stage3, and then gradually recompile)
>
> Will a 64 bit kernel be able to run a 32 bit bash?

A 64-bit kernel will run 32-bit binaries fine... Um, there may be a needed
kernel option though... CONFIG_IA32_EMUL? Anyone?

> In order to get a 64
> bit kernel a have to set CFLAGS=-march=k8

Your CFLAGS in make.conf don't affect your kernel, normally.  I don't use
genkernel maybe it does some crazy magic like that.

> and set the processor type to
> K8 in the kernel configuration, right?

Just setting the proper processor type should build your kernel as 64-bit.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]