I decided I wanted to remove the ipv6 use flag which I have had enabled in
make.conf for quite a while but never really been on a ipv6 network and don't
suspect I will in the near future. When upgrading firefox I noted it has that
use flag and decided I want to know what it actually does. Only, I cannot
find it anywhere in the ebuilds! So where does it come from and what
*exactly* does it do?

~ # emerge -uvp mozilla-firefox
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1-r2 [1.5.0.1-r1] USE="java
mozdevelop xprint -debug -gnome -ipv6* -xinerama" 33 kB
Total size of downloads: 33 kB

~ # grep USE /usr/portage/www-client/mozilla-firefox/*.ebuild
/usr/portage/www-client/mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefox-1.0.7-r4.ebuild:IUSE="gnome

java mozdevelop mozsvg mozcalendar"
/usr/portage/www-client/mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefox-1.5-r11.ebuild:IUSE="java

mozdevelop"
/usr/portage/www-client/mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefox-1.5-r9.ebuild:IUSE="java

mozdevelop"
/usr/portage/www-client/mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1-r2.ebuild:IUSE="java

mozdevelop"

~ # grep ipv6 /usr/portage/www-client/mozilla-firefox/*.ebuild
~ #

~ # equery u mozilla-firefox
[ Searching for packages matching mozilla-firefox... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend        : Left column  (U) - USE flags from
make.conf                     ]
[                  : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed
with ]
[ Found these USE variables for www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1-r1 ]
 U I
 - - debug      : Tells configure and the makefiles to build for debugging.
Effects vary across packages, but generally it will at least add -g to
CFLAGS. Remember to set FEATURES=nostrip too
 - - gnome      : Adds GNOME support
 - + ipv6       : Adds support for IP version 6
 + + java       : Adds support for Java
 + + mozdevelop : Enable features for web developers (e.g. Venkman)
 - - xinerama   : Add support for the xinerama X11 extension, which allows you
to stretch your display across multiple monitors
 + + xprint     : Support for xprint, http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xprint/

--
Bo Andresen