Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The VIA 8237 is an onboard sound chip. I have one myself. As such, it's
> controlled by the BIOS. Since you have previously not used sound on this
> machine, it's within the realm of possibility (imo) that you disabled
> the sound chip in the BIOS, which -- if that was the case-- would
> possibly explain why the card is not being found when you actually try
> to use it.
>
> Have you checked, or would you check your BIOS and confirm that the
> onboard sound is enabled there?

Have not, but will on next reboot.  However the chances are slim to
none.  This box only began its career as a gentoo box a few weeks ago
when my existing box gave up the chase ... a disk controller problem I
was to dumb to solve and scrapped the whole thing.

This box (athlon64 +3200) was previously an winxp video crunching
(Edit and transpose) box.  And had sound working all the time.

I've made no changes bios wise.  But will report what I find later.