Jim wrote:
<snip>
I think I read somewhere that JFS needs to be booted rw instead of ro.
Try to change your kernel= line to this:

kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.15-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda2 rw

*NOTE* the above should be ONE line.

P.S.  Why didn't you try ReiserFS or ext3?  I have always used reiserfs
without issue and find it to be very stable and very fast.

Jim

I have tried both rw & ro since I had 2 different replies about this problem - unfortunately both failed with the same error as before.

I use JFS since I find that it's fast & stable too like Reiser. I tended to use a scattering of filesystems in the past so that I had experience of them all, but I'm gravitating towards JFS mostly now on my servers. I've done extensive speed testing using IOZone (http://www.iozone.org/) and for our systems, our drives, our application I just liked jfs. Not a lot between them all though apart from speed of file creation/deletion.

thanks
Trevor.