Mark Knecht:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=121164
>
> I'll proceed in this manner unless I hear back that there is some
> problem with doing it this way.

There are several hints in that topic.
I did move my /usr to a new partition, so I'ld say:
1. create and format your new partition;
2. mount your new partition in /mnt/whatever;
3. copy the content of your /usr into this partition by:
cp -a /usr/* /mnt/whatever (the "-a" option is important; look at man
cp);
4. reboot frome a livecd;
5. mount your root filesystem and edit /etc/fstab:
/dev/hdXY /usr etc.
6. reboot from the hard disk to be sure that your new partition is well
mounted and works; run "mount" to check that /usr is on your new
partition; test this in other ways to be really sure ;-)
7. reboot again from a live cd;
8. mount your root filesystem in /mnt/something;
9. delete the old /usr directory to free the unused space:
cd /mnt/something/usr
rm -rf *
NB: do not delete /usr itself, just its contents, as /usr is the mount
point for the new partition;
10. cross your fingers and reboot from the hard disk ;-)

HTH
Sergio