James wrote:
> Dmitry S. Makovey <dmitry <at> athabascau.ca> writes:
>
>> since packages you use (I assume KDE etc.) are not using qt4 (i.e.
>> require specifically qt3 branch) portage doesn't find any reasons to
>> bump version of qt. AFAIR Qt is a slotted package and you can safely
>> go ahead and do
>> emerge =x11-libs/qt-4.1.1
>> but you packages wouldn't use it.
>
> Ok this kinda makes sense. But what exactly is a 'slotted package',
> how do I determine when a packages is slotted, and where do I read
> more about 'slotted'? I see this term used ofen, but, really have
> no clue exactly what slotted means or if it has various meanings
> based on the context of it's (verbiage) usage.

Slotted means you can have several different versions of a package
installed, *at the same time*. So in this case it would mean you would
end up with qt-3.x still installed and qt-4.x also installed. Since KDE
would be linked against 3.x, it would continue to use that, while you
could in theory link against the 4.x version.

James wrote:
> checking whats available, with 'emerge -pv qt', I see:
> x11-libs/qt-3.3.4-r8
>
> Nothing else... If I add x11-libs/qt to the package.keywords
> file, I get
> x11-libs/qt-4.1.1
>
> after editing the package.keyword file, If I run emerge -uDp world,
> it want to upgrade qt:
> Calculating world dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild     U ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.4-r9 [3.3.4-r8]

If you go to http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=qt;offset=40 you
can see all the versions of qt (third one down on the page). 'emerge -pv
qt' first off shows you the latest stable version, 3.3.2-r8. When you
add qt to your package.keywords file though, emerge -pv qt' will want to
install the *latest* version of qt that is available, currently 4.1.1.
However the update world command will find that KDE specifically
requires 3.x, so therefore will update to the latest 3.x version, in
this case 3.3.4-r9 because even though that in the testing branch,
you've just enabled it by adding it in your package.keywords file.

Although I don't know why portage doesn't also want to install the 4.1.1
version of qt if they are slotted...

Shawn