On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 13:50 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi all, I am new on this list (and new of Gentoo).
> I have some doubts on the setting of the flag USE.
> I understood its features but I do not know WHEN use them.
> Some questions:
> 1 - Is it mandatory to set the Flag USE?
> 2 - If not, should I verify which flags to use for each package I want to
> install (using the --pretend and --verbose options of emerge) and then set
> USE accordingly?
>
> Bye
> emilio

You should never do things like:
USE="some_flags" emerge some_package

Instead you should configure a set of useflags you think are good for
your needs in general in make.conf. If you want to overide these
settings for a specific package do so by using /etc/portage/package.use.

Just to give you an example, my make.conf contains this:

USE="3dnow alsa bzlib gphoto2 apm jpeg mmx xine xmms zlib opengl
     oggvorbis gnome gtk gtk2
     sse 3dnowext sqlite usb -emacs -flac -php -pyton -mysql -matrox
     -kde -wxwindows -scanner -samba -yahoo -oci
     -qt unicode evo mmxext dvdr -eds hal dbus firefox nvidia dvd
     win32codecs
     -firebird nsplugin -arts real flac theora vcd css -oss nautilus
     cairo a52 avi dvdread divx4linux dv encode fame mpeg ogg
     quicktime   subtitles vorbis xvid nptl wma
     -apache -apache2 fam -esd"

You find documentation on the various gentoo use flags at:
http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml

For example, to emerge dev-libs/boost with "+debug +doc +threads" on my
system, i did:

# echo "dev-libs/boost debug doc threads" >> /etc/portage/package.use
# emerge -av boost

By the why, if you think "emerge -s some_package" is slow, then
# emerge eix
This is a really nice tool for searching trough portage fast and with
very nice and informative output. Instead of
# emerge sync
you can do
# eix-sync

HTH,