> Isn't the solution to have  3  levels: 'testing',
> 'probation' & 'stable' ?
> 'Testing' would be literally that, asking for
> feedback from users;
> 'probation' wb already tested for a defined period
> -- say  30 days  --

How about a crazier idea:

Each package has a stability rating from 0-99 per
architecture.
0 means totally untested/unstable and 99 means rock
solid/no bugs. (0-33~unstable, 34-66~testing,
67-99~stable)
Each new package starts at 50. Whenever a user uses
the package, he can then vote on it by giving +1 or -1
(on the website or through portage). As a package
gains rating points, more and more users would be
inclined to use it. A user could set the minimum
stability rating that he wanted for all packages or on
a per package basis.
After the user does an emerge update, the system would
check if an installed package is above the users
minimum. If not, the system informs the user of the
drop and asks if he wants the package to be removed or
not.

Only the maintainer would be able to actually modify
the package itself. Of course, big status changes
would happen soon after a maintainer modifies a
package.

Questions to think about:
1) Should modifications reset the status of a package
to 50?
2) Should a plus/minus vote forward propogate to the
packages that depend on it? Eg. if kdelibs gets a -1
vote, should amarok get a -1 vote too?
3) Should the votes backpropagate instead?

Cheers,
Ben

 "he who writes the code gets to choose his license, and nobody else gets to
complain" - Linus Torvale
In my honest option, it should read - "he who writes the code gets to choose
his license, and everybody else complains."