Anyways, I've been working to try and mount my USB Flash disk so that
I can use the stuff I backed up from my old Kubuntu install.  However,
/dev/sda1 isn't in /etc/fstab, though usbfs is in /etc/mtab.

Well, I've narrowed it down to at least one thing: I don't have a
mount point for my poor USB Disk.

If you have and /etc/fstab, and you already know your usb flash disk is /dev/sda1, well, just add the right fstab entry.
Mine looks this way:

/dev/sda1      /mnt/removable      vfat      noauto,async,user,exec 0 0

> I looked through *all* the 1,400
some-odd lines in the mount command's man page, however, I got no
clues, not even a related command.  I also # ls /bin to see if there
was anything there...  I didn't see anything that made sense to me.

your effort is nice, but have you thought about Google or another search engine?

I've only ever mounted stuff using the graphical tool that Kubuntu
supplied, so that's where my ignorance comes from.

I think you refer to the "hey-my-usb-disk-appears-magically-on-my-desktop!" trick. I guess it's managed by HAL, you can have it on Gentoo too (don't ask me for info, since I don't use it)

m.