I can just nano /etc/fstab and add /dev/sda1?

Not only you can: you actually have to! :)
Check the Gentoo handbook for details. When I did install Gentoo (in december 2004), I had to write *all* my fstab by hand, I don't know if now it's different.

I thought fstab was
generated by the machine or something, and that it isn't a terribly
good idea to edit it.

A fstab file is ususally generated by the operating system installer, but, being it a plain text configuration file, it is thought to be editable by root. It has a pretty straightforward syntaxis.

The machine-generated thing you shouldn't touch, instead, is /etc/mtab. This one contains the *current* state of mounted devices.

I don't have a /mnt directory.  Should I just create one?

Well, you have to create an empty directory to use as a mountpoint. I create them inside a /mnt directory, but that's just "historical habit". Many distro I see around now use /media as a root directory for removable media mountpoints. Nothing stops you from using /home/sauron/whatever, although I feel symlinks are a cleaner way to access mount points from your home...

No, I had to manually create a mount point via the GUI and then enable
the thing and all this stuff.  Then KDE just looked at /media and
slapped that on my desktop.  I mounted my windows partition (back when
I had one) on /media so that I could have that on my desktop too.

That's the same of writing on the fstab, but managed by a gui instead of done by hand (editing fstab is really easy once you manage the logic of it).

m.