Hey Chris. This one often stumps even seasoned X dorks like myself.

In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, look for the 'Section "InputDevice"' stanza
which describes your mouse, and add the following:

        Option      "ZAxisMApping" "4 5"

This will get your mouse wheel up and running, but you'll need to
restart X by logging out of Gnome, and at gdm (or greeter of choice), do
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and long back in.

Should work for you!

Slainte.

:-)

-Jeff

--
Han Solo:
        Well Princess, it looks like you managed to keep me
        here a while longer.
Princess Leia:
        I had nothing to do with it. General Rieekan thinks
        it's dangerous for anyone to leave the system until
        they've activated the energy shield.
Han Solo:
        That's a good story. I think you just can't bear to
        let a gorgeous guy like me out of your sight.
Princess Leia:
        I don't know where you get you delusions, laser brain!
Chewbacca laughs
Han Solo:
        Laugh it up, fuzzball!