On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:40:52 -0400
Peter wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2006 10:18:53 -0500, Kris Kerwin wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Quick question. Is there any way that one can unpack an ISO image:
> > extracting the data that is contained within it like a tarball,
> > without having to burn it to a CD? I'm sure there's an option
> > somewhere within either the mkisofs or cdrecord man pages, but I feel
> > like I'm searching for a needle in a haystack.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Kris
>
> OR, without using mount at all!
>
> Use mc in a terminal, highlight the file and press [Enter]. It will open
> it up like a directory. Other Virtual File System managers can also do
> this. Try Nautilus or the KDE file manager. In addition you can use avfs
> with fuse. All without having to issue a mount command :)

I have often thought that would be useful, but in my mc it doesn't work. what
am i missing? I know for example that if I emerge rpm it works on
rpm files. What do I need to do to make it work for iso?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ equery uses mc
[ Searching for packages matching mc... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend    : Left column  (U) - USE flags from make.conf              ]
[           : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ Found these USE variables for app-misc/mc-4.6.0-r14 ]
 U I
 + + gpm     : Adds support for sys-libs/gpm (Console-based mouse driver)
 + + nls     : <unknown>
 + + samba   : Adds support for SAMBA (Windows File and Printer sharing)
 + + ncurses : Adds ncurses support (console display library)
 - - X       : Adds support for X11
 - + slang   : Adds support for the slang text display library (it's like
ncurses, but different)
 - - unicode : Adds support for Unicode
 - - 7zip    : add support for 7zip archives
 - - debug   : Tells configure and the makefiles to build for debugging.
Effects vary across packages, but generally it will at least add -g to CFLAGS.
Remember to set FEATURES=nostrip too