On May 31, 2006, at 2:57 AM, Anthony Roy wrote:

Hi all,

I am trying to get an rsync server running on my Gentoo server box in
order to run backups to the server from my other machines. I have a
very simple rsyncd.conf file, (see below), and from what I can tell, I
should be able to rsync some files across from a different box.

The command I am using to rsync from a different box is:

rsync -avz test.xml 192.168.0.100:rsync

I have also tried the following with the same results:

rsync test.xml 192.168.0.100:rsync

The result is that I am continually prompted for a password. As far as
I can tell from the rsyncd.conf no password should be required (which
is fine as the rsync port cannot be reached from outside the
intranet).

The rsyncd:

# This line is required by the /etc/init.d/rsyncd script
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
use chroot = yes
read only = false
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log

# Simple example for enabling your own local rsync server
[rsync]
       path = /srv/rsync
       comment = Main Rsync Server

Any help appreciated.

--
Ant...

-- Anthony Roy

unless you say otherwise, rsync uses ssh. unless you set it up to use key authentication, ssh will require a password. what i do in such instances, is set up a special user with read access to the files to be backed up, create a key with ssh-geygen on the backup server. then on the server to be backed up, for that user put it in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys. with the rsync command you can force it to use a particular credential to auth to ssh with.