Hans-Werner Hilse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What you're experiencing seems to be just a missing ScriptAlias. RTFM
> about calling CGIs...

This is a single user machine so security from users is only a problem
from me blundering around... That was why I wanted to keep
experimentation at $public_html and a working server for home lan at
www/localhost/htdocs.

What I've found is that if I set ScriptAlias to
/var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/ then it all works there but not at:
USER/public_html.  There a cgi is just displayed like a file.

If I do not define ScriptAlias at all then cgi works under
$public_html but cgi under $htdocs is just displayed as a file.

I want to be able to fire cgi anywhere under $htdocs or $public_html.

How can I do that...? I don't care about suexec if I don't need it.
Just another layer of confusion.  But if it requires special file
permissions root privs in one or the other area then suexec seems
easier.

RTFM... yes over and over but not really catching on.